Sunday, February 05, 2006

Appearances can be deceptive?, true!

In the book "My Numbers, My Friends" by Paulo Ribenboim, he mentioned that Primes are one of the most beautiful things in nature discovered by man. Well, I believed him and thought must be true, untill I observed it to be true! I was working on some problem with prime numbers and the set of primes which I was working was quite unmanagable, chaotic and they were giving me sleepless nights(literally)! Then day before, I got enlightened and discovered(observed) that they really behaved quite differently, but they are really beaufiful, with a very nice pattern, has interesting properties which I didn't anticipate! For the first time in my life, I could understand "what is real beauty?"

This led me to believe in the phrase "Appearances can be deceptive" even though I have no example in my real life. After all, a person may be really nice and quite beautiful eternally, but may look quite differently from outside!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well don't you think maths itself is deceptive in that way? Sometimes we take time to appreciate that certain things are beautiful just because we don't see it in the right way!

Dr Shanta Laishram said...

@Vivek,

Thats right! Infact after proving things and knowing well, it becomes clear how beautiful it is and so on. Interesting!