Tuesday, February 28, 2006

When are you finishing?

Nowadays everyone seems to be interested about this question

When are you finishing?

and I have decided to answer

I am not finishing......., Most likely I shall be finishing my PhD soon!

I have been encountering this question from Faculty and students alike, not to mention from my frens(from outside TIFR) and family... Another question I need to answer is

Which year are you in?

Well, this is a question for which I need to explain a bit! I even feel like answering I m now in 2006!
Now whoever asks me this question, I will forward him to this site to see for the answer which is:

I joined in 2000 but had to give my BSc exam in April 2001 that I was away for around 5 months in 2001 starting January! So I had to start my coursework again in 2001 and that still puzzles me which year(batch) I am in TIFR! I shall be happy if you tell me which year I am in so that I can give a single word(or digit) answer next time!

I hope this clears their doubts, and mine too!

9 comments:

Amit said...

So.... when are you finishing Shanta!

श्रीपाद said...

So.... which year are you in Shanta???

Anonymous said...

Shanta... sure, those are tough questions.. but the tougher one is this.. "So, what are you going to do after you finish your Ph.D?"... That question has always thrown me off. BTW, what are YOU going to do after ur Ph.D?

Dr Shanta Laishram said...

@Amit

Read my blog again to know the answer :-)

@ Shripad

I am in the year 2006, like everyone else now! :-)
By the way, how are you doing? I am going to ICM in Spain and Satellite Conference in CIRM, Luminy(France). So, we will meet in Paris most likely!

@ Anonymous

Thats the toughest question and a good question! Next question please?

Nikhil Joshi said...

do they aks " hey, kub finish karoge?"

or do they "uff, kub finish karoge?"

And I don't include your boss in "they"

Dr Shanta Laishram said...

@Nikhil
thats definitely a good question! I hope they are not asking the second one!

Vivek said...

That reminds me. Somehow we got the habit of saying, "I'm finished." after we finished our classwork in the school. Our teacher had a bad time correcting us.

Dr Shanta Laishram said...

@W4C

Its not at all scary nor I had any intention of finishing my PhD in a sexy or a prime year! However, whichever year I will complete, will be definitely a sexy year:-)

Even though 2001 and 2007 are not primes, they are quite interesting!

Harvey Dubner found a record set of three 2001-digit palindromic primes in arithmetic progression in the year 2001

and

2007=3^2*223 and 223 is very interesting!

Asha Khumukcham said...

GRT "HUNT"......
Only PASSIONS great PASSIONS can elevate the soul to great heights.

Well done keep it up....!!